Candidates have to specify in the application form whether they want to apply only for “Assistant Professor” or both “Junior Research Fellowship and Assistant Professor”. UGC NET 2020 Eligibility for JRF and Assistant Professorship varies and candidates must satisfy the criteria before applying for the exam.
- Master’s Degree holders with a minimum of 55% marks (50% for reserved candidates) can register for the exam.
- Students in the final year of master’s program or waiting for its result can also apply for the exam.
- Ph.D. degree holders who completed their master’s degree before September 19, 1991 are given relaxation of 5% in aggregate marks.
- Applicants must not be more than 30 years of age as on June 1, 2020 to apply for Junior Research Fellowship.
- SC, ST, OBC, PWD, Transgender and Women candidates are given an age relaxation of upto 5 years.
Required Educational Qualification
- Candidates securing at least 55% marks in their Master’s Degree or equivalent from recognized universities in Humanities (including languages), Social Science, Computer Science and Applications, Electronic Science etc. are eligible for this test.
- However, candidates belonging to non-creamy layer of other backward classes (OBC-NC), scheduled caste (SC), scheduled tribe (ST), persons with disability (PwD) and transgender category have to score at least 50% marks.
- Candidates who are pursuing their Master’s degree or are waiting for their result or whose qualifying examinations have been delayed can apply for the test.
- However, such candidates will be admitted provisionally and will be considered for award of JRF or recruitment as Assistant Professor only when they will pass their Master’s Degree with at least 55% marks (50% marks for reserved category).
- Such candidates will also have to complete their Master degree within two years from the date of UGC NET 2020 Result with required percentage of marks, failing which they will be treated as disqualified.
- Candidates with Ph.D. degree whose Master’s level examination was completed before September 19, 1991 (irrespective of date of declaration of result) will be eligible for a relaxation of 5% in aggregate marks (i.e. from 55% to 50%) for appearing in UGC NET 2020.
- Transgender candidates will be provided same relaxation in fee, age and qualifying criteria for NET (i.e. JRF and Assistant Professor) as are available to SC/ ST/ PwD categories. The subject wise cutoffs for transgender category will be the lowest among those for SC/ ST/ PwD/ OBC–NCL categories in the respective subject.
- Candidates are suggested to choose the same NET subject for Paper 2 as their specialization in Post Graduation. However, if your post graduation subject is not covered in the list of 81 NET subjects, you can appear in a related subject.
- Candidates possessing Post Graduation Diploma/ Certificate awarded by Indian University/ Institute or foreign degree/ diploma/ certificate awarded by a foreign University/ institute should in their own interest, ascertain the equivalence of their diploma/ degree/ certificate with Master’s degree of recognized Indian universities from Association of Indian Universities (AIU), New Delhi.
Age Limit and Relaxation
UGC NET 2020 Age Limit and Relaxation for Junior Research Fellowship and Assistant Professorship are given below:
- Junior Research Fellow: Candidates should not be more than 30 years as on June 1, 2020.
- Candidates belonging to OBC-NC, SC, ST, PwD categories, Transgenders and women applicants are provided a relaxation of upto 5 years.
- Candidates with research experience will also be provided age relaxation equivalent to the years/ period spent on research in the respective subject of Post Graduation Degree.
- Relaxation to researchers can be of upto 5 years and will only be provided on production of a certificate from appropriate authority.
- Candidates with L.L.M. Degree will be permitted an upper age relaxation of 3 years.
- Candidates who have served in the armed forces will be provided the benefit of relaxation of upto 5 years subject to the length of service in the armed forces upto June 1, 2020.
- Total age relaxation on the above ground(s) shall not exceed five years under any circumstances.
- Assistant Professor: There is no upper age limit to apply for Assistant Professor.
Note: Before applying for UGC NET 2020, candidates must ensure that they fulfill the eligibility for the test.
- Candidates do not have to send any certificates/ documents to National Testing Agency in support of their eligibility.
- NTA does not verify the details provided by the candidates in the application form and hence their candidature will be purely provisional subject to the fulfillment of eligibility criteria.
- In case, NTA or UGC detect any ineligibility at any stage, the candidature will be cancelled and legal action may be taken against the candidates.